Friday, February 17, 2017

The Magic of Filler Shows

Imagine: You're watching the season finale of your favorite show. When the episode eventually comes to a close, you're likely sitting in your bed, stuffing your face with food, contemplating what you're going to do with your life. We all have a filler show that we watch for the sake of filling the hole another show has left in our hearts.

While these shows may not be our favorites, they're always there to comfort us when we're getting over the end of our favorite show or when we're in that weird transition period when we're looking for a new show to obsess over. I mostly turn to comedies and sitcoms to get me through this rough time. When I finished the second season of "Lovesick," I started watching the new season of "Family Guy." When I was angry at Ted from "How I Met Your Mother," I started watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

It's a vicious cycle really. I always feel like I need to have a show ready for me to watch. Even if it's not a good one. I guess it's a comfort thing. It's nice to have a Plan B when you're out of shows to watch or are waiting for a show to come back.

But filler shows don't have to be something that you just give up after you find a new show. With the right show, a filler show could easily creep up on you and turn into one of your favorite shows. Sometimes it's the fact that it's so reliable makes the show even better. When I first started watching "Lovesick," I expected it to be a show I'd give up after a couple of episodes. But I eventually found myself watching every episode on Netflix and anxiously waiting for a new season (which should totally happen watch it now!). I guess that's the true power of a filler show. You don't expect much out of them, but they eventually become something that you enjoy watching.

All in all I guess what I'm trying to say is that filler shows are nice because it's not something you feel like you have to commit to when watching, but it's always for you there just in case. Below I've linked the summaries of some filler shows that I personally love. What are your favorite filler shows? Let me know!

Lovesick:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4051832/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472954/

Blue Mountain State:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1344204/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bob's Burgers:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1561755/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Chewing Gum:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5097050/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1




6 comments:

  1. I love filler shows! I think my favorite is either Blue Mountain State or Friends. They are nice breaks from when some shows get too emotionally intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Filler shows are great aren't they! Glad you agree

      Delete
  2. These are such great suggestions and im so hip to the feeling when a show ends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when a show for me there's literally a void in my world

      Delete
  3. my favorite filler shows are Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and That 70's Show, just some funny comedies that can be background noise to when I'm doing homework or eating breakfast. I've been intrigued by Chewing Gum I might watch it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those shows too! Especially Kimmy Schmidt it's hilarious

      Delete